The Vivienne Tam SS18 show at New York Fashion Week on September 10th 2017 was a new and unusual cross over collaboration with the film industry. Vivienne teamed up with film director Raman Hui, known for his fashion and animation films, and created a collection and show inspired by the action adventure film Monster Hunt. The main character, Wuha, promotes tolerance and co-existence, family values, love and hope.
This beautifully unique show was playful and whimsical with a happy color palette reflecting nature: blues, greens, sands and earth tones accented with aurora corals, misty mauves and dusty pinks. The light and billowy fabrics in this collection include soft denim, cotton twill, silk viole, silk chiffon, lace and fine mesh. The comfortable and airy silhouettes are easy to wear and and have touches of artful gathers and sash belts to give shape. There is a masculine meets feminine mix, or a “Yin meets Yang” element according to Tam, where boxy oversized coats and dusters meet ruffled dresses with asymmetric handkerchief hems and ruched tops. Wuha is depicted through signature mesh overlays and hand crafted embroideries.
Vivienne is an international designer working to bridge the west and east cultures through her designs. She is also doing collaborative work to connect fashion with technology. She has written an award winning book called China Chic and her designs can be seen in several prestigious museums like the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York and the Victoria and Albert Museum in London.
The SS18 collection “speaks to a playful journey of the mind, from fantasy to modern urban chic”, according to Tam. I’m looking forward to see what her creative mind comes up with next!
- Vivienne Tam Focuses on Femininity for SS18 Collection Debut - October 3, 2017
- Son Jung Wan Debuts Androgynous Designs in SS18 NYFW Showcase - October 3, 2017
- Producer Melissa d’Attilio and Designer Naeem Khan Capture the Glamour of Nature at NYFW - October 3, 2017
- Francesca Liberatore Introduces Spring Collection with Soft Pastels at NYFW - October 3, 2017
- Creatures of the Wind’s Progressive SS18 Collection Proves Recycling is in Style - October 3, 2017