The Elizabeth Kennedy collection was featured during New York Fashion Week at the beautiful Plaza Hotel. Kennedy’s latest collection for Spring / Summer 2017 featured gowns with elegant draping and color blocking. These looks are the latest in a long history of exquisite designs from the talented and experienced designer. Since graduating from Parsons School of Fashion Design, Kennedy has worked for many major designers in the fashion industry, including Donna Karan, J. Mendel, Max Mara, and Isaac Mizrahi Couture before starting her namesake brand.
We spoke with her at The Plaza Hotel during her New York Fashion Week S/S 2017 presentation about her long and illustrious career. She stressed the importance of working for other designers prior to launching a brand of your own.
“A lot of students want to start their own brand right out of school, but you learn so much on the job that you don’t learn at school” Kennedy said. She underscored the value of internships and working for another designer, where you learn to design under their vision, which helps a young designer learn to design for a client or merchandiser.
The Elizabeth Kennedy collection did not have to travel far to be featured at NYFW, because of all of the pieces were manufactured in New York City’s Garment District. Kennedy is passionate about supporting NYC and the Garment District, both from an ethical standpoint and in the name of quality. “With evening wear, I need to see it and drape it and work with it. I can’t just send it off and have it shipped back in a box. It doesn’t really work.” Elizabeth Kennedy launched her brand in 2012, which was initially sold exclusively at Bergdorf Goodman, but has recently began showing during Fashion Week which has opened the brand up to new retailers.
Photos provided by the designer.
- Fashion Model and Musical Artist ARITA Debuts Her First Music Video on BET - November 12, 2018
- Interview: Designer Mim Harvey of Harvey The Label at NYFW: The Shows S/S 2019 - October 27, 2018
- Interview with Indonesian Diversity Designer Kimberly Tandra at NYFW S/S 2019 Shows - October 27, 2018
- Global Fashion Exchange Daft Brunch at The Brooklyn Mirage - September 4, 2018
- Can’t You See These Are My Work Pants? How the Designer of Chu Chu Loo Created The Splatter Collection. - July 30, 2018