How the color black infiltrated 2020 New York Fashion Week
Yves Saint Laurent once said so eloquently “I love black because it affirms, designs, and styles…” Black is often a color that faces heavy criticism; it is the opposite of light and often referred to as scary or unlucky. On the contrary, when it comes to the fashion industry these widespread notions regarding the color are reversed. Renowned designer Matt Sarafa utilized the daring color in his most recent collection at New York Fashion Week.
How designers utilize the color black
According to Matt, a celebrity fashion designer and full time student at UCLA, “Black, if used correctly, can be the most striking color… I personally wear it and use it so frequently in my designs because I think it makes you look and feel badass. For this most recent show, I created a custom printed black & white houndstooth fabric which was featured throughout the collection.” When asked about the hesitation many individuals have about the color he said “Give it a shot! You’d be surprised at the different ways you can style black- And if it’s not for you, so be it! That’s the beauty of fashion.
- How to Integrate Sustainability Into Any Fashion Business - August 24, 2020
- Ethical Thrifting: The Morality Behind the Fashion Fad - August 20, 2020
- Black is the New Black: The Color Black is Back - August 3, 2020
- How the Environment Influences Fashion at Howard University - August 2, 2020
- 3 Unique Places to Buy Fashion Face Masks Right Now - July 27, 2020