There are many types of jobs within the fashion industry. These include designers, pattern makers, tailors and photographers. In order to run a successful fashion business it is important to have an understanding of each of these roles. While they may not get the most attention within our industry, the pattern maker is one of the most important parts of your team.
The Role of the Pattern Maker
First of all, it’s important to understand the role of a patter maker. Pattern makers are responsible for creating patterns on paper and fiberboard. They create the technical elements of a design, such as the lengths of the sleeves and the exact placement of embellishments. Pattern makers produce their work with either software or free-hand drawing. While both methods are commonly used, it is important to have strong free-hand skills. A professional pattern maker is vital to the creative process. Therefore, having one on your team will ensure accurate and consistent production.
Taking a design from a sketch to a finished product contains many steps.The pattern maker’s job is to ensure that the idea and reality are the same. Once the design goes to production, the finished product will be created using the work of the pattern maker. Just one wrong measurement or incorrect placement could result in the entire garment could falling apart, so precision is key. For this reason, you’ll often see strong math skills and an eye for detail listed in the requirements for patter maker job listings.
Pattern Maker Factsheet
2. Massachusetts College of Art and Design
3. Parson’s The New School for Design
4. Pratt Institute
5. Rhode Island School of Design
- Good hand-eye coordination
- Strong math skills
- The ability to convert dimensions to exact tolerances
- The ability to work well under pressure
- Working knowledge of fashion design
- Manufacture Pattern Maker
While working in a factory-type setting, manufacture pattern makers focus on the creation of casts and molds. As a result, this requires knowledge on many different tools.
- Apparel Pattern Maker
Apparel pattern makers are typically more artistic and have higher levels of education. They focus on design, sewing, and stitching.
Find Pattern Makers in Your Area
If your fashion brand is in need of a pattern maker there’s no better place to look than our Fashion Directory! Established pattern makers can add themselves to the directory. Doing so will connect them with brands in their metro area that can benefit from their skills. Join our directory today to make lasting connections with nearby professionals fashion.
- NYFW Networking Party Red Carpet Photos – September 2017 - October 6, 2017
- Planet Fashion Features Sizzling Showcase During Miami Swim Week - July 8, 2017
- NYFW: How Does Fashion Week Work? - June 6, 2017
- Runa Ray NYFW Collection: Evolution-Inspired Garments - October 4, 2016
- The Elegant Elizabeth Kennedy Collection for NYFW - September 23, 2016