The John Paul Ataker NYFW Spring/Summer 2017 collection received thunderous applause as models walked the runway at The Dock at Skylight at Moynihan Station as part of New York Fashion Week. John Paul Ataker presented forty four looks to notable front-row guests such as Kelly Osbourne, Kamie Crawford, Molly Bernard, Kristen Teakman, and Taylor Dye.
The inspiration for the looks that models wore on the runway of the John Paul Ataker NYFW collection is the designer’s ancient Assyrian culture. Modern prints and sculpted shapes were brought together to create an elegantly tailored silhouette that enhances the feminine form.
The brand’s signature detailing and sculpted forms allows the John Paul Ataker woman to explore her interest in both feminine and masculine dressing through casually elegant blouses and trousers, and structured, tailored gowns. The SS 2017 color palate for this collection included light salmon, lavender, and sky blue hues to argil browns. This pallet resulted in a romantic and elegant collection!
“Fabric gives voice to my needs, like a painting through which I can express myself. I can merge together different colors, quality of threads, and techniques to reach the pattern I want; this is a process that demands time and passion.”
– Turkish designer Numan Ataker on his creative process.
Trends for the season include asymmetrical lines, suit dressing, a monochromatic palette, contrasting piping and ruffle details, feminine silhouettes, cut-outs, and floral appliques. Of all of the pieces, the finale looks that featured ruffled wings and capes certainly inspired the biggest reactions from the NYFW audience.
The designer continues, “I used historical references to tell of my family’s heritage and the powerful civilization that has influenced architecture, art and fashion. Babylon’s daily culture was surrounded with beautifully engineered gardens that were unbelievably colorful and structured.”
- Prabal Gurung NYFW Spring / Summer 2018 Collection - September 12, 2017
- Prabal Gurung Spring Collection Inspires Us to Dream of a World that is Free of Bias, Free of Hate, Free of Prejudice - September 12, 2017
- Elizabeth Kennedy’s Fall / Winter NYFW Collection Takes Us to the Tropics - February 18, 2017
- Charles & Ron 2017 Collection Celebrates True Love - February 16, 2017
- Independent Fashion Designers Shine at NOLCHA Fashion Week Spring / Summer 2017 - September 20, 2016