Last season, New York Fashion Week history was made by Indonesian designer Anniesa Hasibuan who presented a full collection for Spring 2017 with models wearing the traditional hijab. I was honored and privileged to be in attendance and watch her debut collection inspire a rousing standing ovation. Hasibuan made headlines as the first Muslim woman to show a collection featuring hijab’s during NYFW and with the current political climate in the United States, expectations were high and I couldn’t wait to witness Anniesa Hasibuan’s Fall / Winter 2017 collection.
Hasibuan once again impressed the audience with perfect execution and a clear message. Her diverse collection for fall featured evening gowns and sleek sportswear worn by models who were first or second generation immigrants. The cast of models walking the show were of all races and skin color and each one sporting the iconic hijab.
The Fall / Winter collection featured flowing gowns, classic formal wear. sleek pants and jackets, all in metallic hues of gold, bronze, white, and black. Each piece had a breath-taking impact on the viewer as you were enveloped in the intoxicating romance Anniesa Hasibuan’s style.
In light of everything happening in the United States that feels like an attack on immigrants and diversity, Anniesa Hasibuan showed no ill sign of the effect. She ended the runway show with models walking side by side, clearly interpreted as a statement on the current political climate. We are all one and we will all prevail.
Anniesa Hasibuan came out for a bow and received roaring applause and yet another standing ovation. I will always look forward to seeing what the future holds for Anniesa Hasibuan, the Muslim designer that took New York Fashion Week by storm.
- Runa Ray Presents a Touch of Imagination with Spring Designs during NYFW - October 17, 2017
- Leanne Marshall at New York Fashion Week Spring / Summer 2018 - October 15, 2017
- Tadashi Shoji Brings the Beach to NYFW with Ethereal SS18 Collection | VIDEO - October 3, 2017
- Julianna Bass Reflects on SS18 Collection in Exclusive Interview with Fashion Mingle - October 3, 2017
- Galtiscopio Debuts Spectrum of Graphic Designs During NYFW - October 3, 2017